7/11/22 - 10/11/22

 Week 9 of Milly's acting journey

On Monday 7th November, we spent the entire morning with Tom going through our Muppet's Christmas Carol performance at Stockton Globe. Since we were all feeling confident with the Scrooge blocking, we just went over the lyrics to show to Tom that we knew them, which I felt we all did which makes the whole song look and sound better. Last week, we sang to the two other songs that we will be performing - It Feels Like Christmas and One More sleep 'til Christmas - and started blocking the end of Scrooge into It Feels Like Christmas. It's looking so elegant and I feel like I'm at a Christmas ball. I was sat out with Sienna, Kadie and a few other people, to make a small family whilst others who could dance were performing simple ballroom steps. Much like Tom said, it needed to be in time and graceful to look professional and everyone kept following his lead as it certainly looked like it was difficult at times. All throughout this, me and my small family had stood up and were lovingly looking at all the dancers, to highlight how magical and Christmassy it all felt. I really enjoyed today's music session as it made me realise how close we are to the performance date, and it allowed those who wanted to show off their dancing abilities, were able to do so which I loved being able to watch. Whilst we were stood up however, we still made sure to keep our facial expressions and body language on point with the emotion we were told to express. Afterwards was auditions for our show in December, The Wizard Of Oz, in which I went for Glinda. I go into further detail in my blog post called Audition process about how I felt about it all, but overall I found my audition to be better than I could have ever thought it to have gone. I went in going for Glinda, and instead was asked to go for Dorothy as both Kelly and Kane thought I was more suited to that role. I honestly couldn't believe they thought that, as in the back of my mind I did want to go for Dorothy but due to the amount of talented people also going for it, I thought I would choose a comfortable character. After my audition, Kane asked "was that easy?" meaning I should strive more to go for something that will challenge me. I agreed joyfully to go for Dorothy and before leaving college that day, I looked over Dorothy's monologue and Adam helped me with how to make it even better. 

On Tuesday 8th November, we spent the entire day practising and rehearsing through our chosen character chemistry reads. In this, I was reading in for Dorothy and was in a group with Charley, Harley and Pheebs. We didn't have a person who was the Tinman so we all decided since they had 2 lines, just to subtly ignore them and carry on with our audition reads. I felt we all clicked really well as a group, and particularly thought that Harley as The Historian was superb, he really brought the character alive which was amazing. I felt that Pheebs could have expressed more of her voice in her character as the Lion but she was also really good, much like Charley who I was so glad to work with as I hadn't done so yet and she was amazing. The scene we did was from the end where the Grand Master, The Wizard Of Oz first meets Dorothy and her gang, and grants them their wishes under one circumstance. This was a great scene to have a read through with, since each character minus the Tin Man had a good amount of equal lines, allowing everyone in my group to show Kelly and Kane their strengths playing their chosen character. I learnt from this lesson how important chemistry reads are, since when a casting director might have two people in mind for a role, they can test out how they interpret the character alongside someone they definitely want as a different role. It allows a performance, movie or project to be absolutely perfect with casting as the director now knows that their chemistry isn't bland or even just not there. Working with different people also allows you to test your acting abilities further as you'll be removing yourself from your comfort zone and you may find that someone you never thought you'd work well with, and end up performing your very best with me. We all left the lesson, awaiting the news of the cast list sometime in the week. 

On Wednesday 9th November, sometime in the week ended up being the following day and whilst we were all playing some warm-up games, Kelly and Kane auditioned a few people for other roles and then sat us down to read out everyone's selected roles. The Historian was read out first and then it was swiftly followed by Dorothy. The first name read out was Millie Trodden, which in was so happy for her since I know how much she also wanted the role and she deserved it so much. Then the next name was read out and I couldn't believe my ears..... IM DOROTHY! In the room full of everyone, I had to contain both my shock and excitement since I could myself  bursting with happiness. Latoya was called out as the 3rd Dorothy, and I too was also overjoyed for her, since she didn't think she would have gotten it but I remember listening to her audition monologue in the café and being blown away by her acting. The first thing I did was thank Kelly for gifting my the role as like I say in fuller detail in my blog 'Audition Process' that I was in disbelief that my first role in a show at college, I'm playing a principal character. We went for a small break where I obviously let my mum, dad and nannie and grandad know about the outcome and they were overjoyed, so much so that my mum started crying by the end of the call - 😢💕 After our break, we began by doing a full run through to get a sense of how it would go, get some understanding of how our new cast works and it was my group that went first. We went right up until the end of the lesson, where myself as Dorothy, Emie as Scarecrow, Connor as the Tin Man and Geoffrey as Lion had a chance to act for the first time as our chosen characters. I loved this so much because it gave myself a chance to show Kelly that she made the right decision, and obviously allowed me to be Dorothy of course. My day didn't end there as we finally began filming our Mean Girls Copycat scene! Filming was so interesting as for me it was the first chance to be a main part in front of the camera, in which I learned more about the camera and all the angles involved. I learnt that the use of light is so important as we were facing in a direction where the sun was making all of us on camera dark and not visible, and with a little bit of light we were able to see everyone and their reactions. I loved this experience so much, and we left with just one scene left which was the bathroom scene where I play a girl telling Damian to get out the toilets.


On Thursday 10th November, myself and my copycat group went into room 224, where we finished filming our bathroom scene which I thought went quick and efficient, without any mistakes plus a practise run before the cameras were rolling. This eased us all into it, but we all knew what we were doing so there was no-one feeling nervous or stressed. Gracie, who isn't in our copycat scene, was our Janice and played her amazingly and we all said as a group that with everything she's up to, we were so happy she wanted to help us out. There was a huge sigh of relief when we finished since it felt like it had been going on for so long, and some things that happened shouldn't have like our extra time and our loss of a filmmaker which we understood now why it happened. Overall, my first project with the filmmakers started bumpy and slightly worrying but then slowly turned into something really special, and I'm so excited to see the outcome of it once Hollie has edited it. Hollie has been so helpful and a joy to work with, as she saved our project and came in each time we got together to talk about copycat with a smile on her face, so she deserves all the credit that she's due. The rest of the day was slow yet productive because my group carried on going through our Wizard Of Oz show, but due to us not having any Year 2's, Jack stood in for Emie as the scarecrow and we didn't get to Geoffrey's lion so no stand in was necessary. 

Comments

Popular Posts