Year 2 - Performance That Inspired Me ( La La Land )


La La Land

Directed by Damian Chazelle 

Starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling 




The first time I saw La La Land, I remember watching a solid 5 minutes of it and then turned it off, which is weird as it begins with a dance sequence which I normally love. It must have been the mood I was in or I just was confused as the film cover doesn’t necessarily show that it’s going to be musical-esque. However, about a week later I remember I turned it on again and watched it all the way through, and when it ended I turned it on again and watched it about two times after watching it for the first time. It had been a long time since I had watched a film that captures the beauty yet also the hardship of having such ambitious dreams, and its truth throughout really spoke to me. It blends together all my favourite qualities of a movie, which is why I had to watch it multiple times afterwards to pick up on things I had missed first time round. For example, I love colour theory in movies and I picked up straight away on the vibrancy at the start of the film unlike towards the end where as the characters get older and more mature, the colour gets darker and dims. Damien Chazelle is a true gift in this age of cinema, and I honestly can’t think what my life would have been like if I didn’t watch this film. I remember reading that he filmed his first film ‘Whiplash’ starring Miles Teller and J.K Simmons on a low budget and screened it at multiple film festivals so that people would watch, and in return he was received with high praise for the movie. I learnt that he waited to do La La Land, so that he could have a higher budget to make the film exactly like what he pictured in his head. 

After watching La La Land, me and my family have movie nights where we take turns in choosing a film to watch. Luckily, it was turn to choose and I picked La La Land. There is a few films that become our family classics, and this one instantly became it after watching it. I have the CD and play it in my car and through my speaker all the time, so much that my dad knows all the words to the songs. Me and my dad share the same favourite actors, and Ryan Gosling is one we share in common, and seeing him in such a vulnerable yet powerful role made us love him even more. I’m shocked he never won the Academy Award for his portrayal of Sebastian, but I’m so glad that Emma Stone did. Her portrayal of Mia is so profound and she represents those that work and work for their dreams, and are constantly met with backlash and multiple no's. Same goes with Ryan Gosling's character of Sebastian, but differently as he get's a chance to continue his passion of jazz yet he's furthering it for the wrong reasons. I love the chemistry they share together, and upon seeing them perform in multiple films like 'Crazy, Stupid, Love', I can see it's no hardship for them. It's a movie I recommend to everyone as it's got an element of everything that would interest a person. 



Comments

Popular Posts