Reflection on Progression into University

 Reflection on University Progression 

This term we began our university preparation with Tom. As part of enrolling in universities, and the entire audition process, there is lots to prepare in order to succeed and get enrolled into top universities. Part of that process includes preparing a monologue from Shakespeare and a contemporary monologue (comedy or drama). Finding my Shakespeare monologue was quite simple, as I had looked through the selection Tom had sent out before we started Progression. I found a monologue from ‘As You Like It’ spoken by the character Phebe, who is in love with a man who is secretly a girl pretending to be a man. However, the ‘man’ treats Phoebe awful, but Phebe doesn’t care and still loves him dearly. This entire monologue is a comedy, and when she switches up her mood and opinions, it’s important for it to be exaggerated enough to be funny. I’ve come to find the character is quite bipolar, and changes her words swiftly, for example she says “Who am I to care for words?” and then says “yet words do well.” She feels she has to hate him, but actually loves him very much. I decided that when I speak negative, I’ll look to the left and when I’m speaking positive, I’ll look to the right. If I do that, it’s obvious that my character is bipolar, which allows me to be over the top and adds humour to the monologue. When I performed to Tom, he mentioned that I need to relax and be a lot more childish, as if I’m having a tantrum which I definitely agreed with. I do more drama monologues and I knew this would be a challenge, so figured it would help me when choosing my comedy monologue. I’m finding Shakespeare to be slightly tricky when saying the lines and knowing what words have emphasis on them, but I’m loving performing it and being more adventurous when it comes to comedy monologues. 

For me, I’m still choosing between lots of different contemporary monologues. I’ve found a beautiful comedic monologue that shared a serious side as well from Fleabag, and when I’ve been rehearsing it, I’ve found it to be very much my style. I’m still to find a drama monologue, but I think I have lots of options to choose from, it’s just making sure I get the right one for me. I know contemporary will be less of a challenge in terms of performing it, as the words as more easier to speak and understand than Shakespeare. 

Writing my personal statement has been exciting and challenging all at the same time. Knowing I have only 4000 words also makes that a lot more challenging. I’m trying to write down all my experiences that link towards performing and acting, alongside what they have given me and how I can bring that to a certain course, but because I have wrote down lots of experiences, I’m having to remove some of those reasons for why I’m suitable to the course, which for me is so much more important than an experience. However, I’d prefer to be the person that’s tried lots of things and been apart of many different clubs, than have done nothing to show my commitment or passion for something. I have wrote up a draft that is slightly long, however I’m working to chop it down and change words up so that it’s not just a worry CV, it’s more than that. 

My personal statement draft: 

My love and dedication to performing is what drives my desire to one day have the privilege of acting professionally on screen and on stage. To be able to make someone feel a certain way and connect with me through my acting, much like how I relate to an actor when I’m watching them perform, is an ambition of mine to fulfill. I've always had a passion for looking into films and how the characters are portrayed to build up a portfolio of inspiration when I am on stage or in front of a camera conveying a specific emotion. With my interest in film comes a goal of acting on screen, and I'm hopeful that my hard work and passion in all aspects of performing will allow me to strengthen and further my dream. 

 

Over the past year, I've been studying Acting for Stage and Screen at Stockton Riverside College. I've had the opportunity to perform in two notable venues and collaborate in the National Theatre's Connections Festival. I've been able to broaden my experience of acting on stage and on screen, by filming short films on location to performing a National Theatre script at Sunderland Fire Station. With the National Theatre, I performed Old Times by Molly Taylor, playing the role of Older Stefi who is on stage for the entirety of the show with no interval. I've performed in my college's theatre, playing the role of Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, and playing Marmee in all 3 cast productions of Little Women. Both roles challenged me differently and abled me to show the commitment I have to each cast, the research I did to add depth to both characters, providing them with a sense of relatability and uniqueness to make them my own interpretations, along with supporting my fellow actors throughout the shows. I've had the chance to perform three times on separate occasions at Stockton Globe Theatre. Working and representing my course at the Globe has been an educational experience as it's allowed me to work professionally in a theatre.

 

Aside from college, I've been a member of Cleveland Philharmonic Choir since 2016, where I began in the junior choir and progressed into the adult choir. Being a part of this choir for so long, attending weekly rehearsals, highlights my loyalty and commitment to bringing my best to the choir. In the choir, I've had the privilege of singing choral pieces such as The Dream of Gerontius and performed multiple times at Durham Cathedral, The Sage singing War Requiem once and in local churches and venues such as The Tabernacle in Stockton. I've collaborated with choirs and orchestras like the Fishburn Band and Durham University's choir, which is ran by our own conductor John Forsyth MBE. Working with choirs allows me to broaden my perspective on music, and I love obtaining new skills and learning from others. I've always had a love for singing, and due to this, I achieved my grade 5 in singing whilst in secondary education. Additionally, for a 6-month period, I had 1-2-1 singing lessons in musical theatre, which boosted my confidence and allowed me to interpret text and act through my singing.

 

For 3 years, I was a part of Tees Valley PQA, performing in 3 productions, including Peter Pan where I played Wendy, and a part of the ensemble in 2 productions: Fright Night and Matilda. Being involved in PQA allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and focus fully on performing, plus hone in on screen acting by regularly making shorts films where the ideas came from actors working together. 

 

I work part-time as a hairdressing assistant. My job requires me to interact with clients, and I always learn a lot about a person which interests me from an acting perspective. Picking up on a person's demeanor and the way they react to things inspires me to think deeper when playing a character. For a while, I've been working with Page2Stage as an assistant, working closely with young children who are interested in acting and performing. Supporting the next generation of performers is so important, as to keep teaching fun helps keep young children passionate about acting. As a young girl, I went to Stagecoach Performing Arts and all I remember about it, are the performances I was a part of and the teacher that guided me along the way. Working at Little Stars has allowed me to be the person that inspired me to begin my journey into acting as a young child. For Page2Stage, I've also performed as a princess and glitter painted at children's parties and recently, I've volunteered at Radio Stitch at North Tees Hospital, curating music shows and talking to listeners and guests in my spare time.


Universities:


My top 3 universities currently are:

- Arden in Manchester because I love the staff and the support there, alongside the curriculum and experience I’ll gain from leaving.

- LAMDA in London because of its singing aspect as that’s something I’d love to keep up, and the alumni shows that you are bound to get professional work after leaving.

- Guildhall in London as it’s always been a university I’d love to get into, for its level of professionalism and the shows that get put on, plus you focus on a wide range of areas in acting, so I’m constantly improving. 


I think I’m right for all these universities as I’m open to learning more and constantly improving my craft, and to be able to work in a new environment like in London or Manchester means I’m given that opportunity. I’m also reliable, have excellent punctuality and I’m loyal to my team and the shows I’m apart of. I believe I’d be a great fit to the courses as I have a passion for working together and ofcourse acting. 


Before I get to these universities and audition for them, I need to improve my confidence in myself. I don’t go for parts because I don’t feel good enough for them, but I know that’s incorrect and I should try roles that I tell myself not to go for. I give everything my very best as if I don’t, I know I couldn’t have done better. However, if I look not confident then that’ll say something to the members of the university at the university. I believe with Peter Pan and the feature film, that I’ll improve my confidence a lot.


During my time in HE, I want to make sure my monologues and my personal statement is accurate and to the best I can do it. I’ll take any feedback on board and use it into making both areas perfect. I’d like both things to also show who I am, and what kind of person I am and will bring to the course if they take me on. 






















 

Comments

Popular Posts